Have you ever looked at a word and seen another word within the word. I have trouble spelling the word sovereign but at the end of the word is the word reign. Beloved, I am convinced that Our God Reigns. He reigns in our hearts and in our life. I just finished a seven month class Being Transformed In Christ, Living Free. The books Victory Over The Darkness and The Bondage Breaker by Neil Anderson was the curriculum. The classes were worthwhile because of amazing truth from God’s word quickens my soul to walk closer as I celebrate nuggets that I have applied.
- I must have a true knowledge of God. Each week we focused on who God is and my heritage that I have because of Christ and His gift of eternal life. John 8: 31-32, “….”If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
- I learned the grace walk is living by faith in the power of the Holy Spirit. I am responsible for my own maturity and freedom in Christ. You can’t live beyond what you believe. Neil Anderson says, “Walking by faith simply means that I function in daily life on the basis of what I believe. People may not always live what they profess, but they will live what they believe.” Galatians 5:1 says, “It was for freedom that Christ set us free, therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.” 2 Peter 3:18, “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity.” John 8:12, “Again, therefore Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.” Colossian 1:10, “So that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
- I learned I can win the battle for my mind by taking every thought captive to the Lord. In order to do this I have to catch my negative thoughts at the threshold by recognizing the lie and change it to a positive thought or action. I recognized strongholds, fears, and irrational thoughts that rob me of living a life of joy free from condemnation. There is a difference between condemnation and conviction. I renew my mind daily by prayer and by reading God’s word and by claiming God’s promises. Romans 12:2, “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.”
- I learned the channels of temptation. Neil says, “Temptation is the greatest when hunger, fatigue, and loneliness are prevalent. Yielding to the lust of the flesh will draw us away from the will of God. The lust of the eyes subtly draws us away from the word of God and eats away at our confidence in God. Satan is not omniscient, but he’s not blind either.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 says, “No temptation has overtaken you but such is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it.”
- I learned the way of escaping temptation is 2 Corinthians 10:5, “We are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.” I have to evaluate my actions based on Philippians 4:8, “Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.” Neil encouraged us to ask myself, “Does this thought line up with God’s truth. Is it suggesting that I do something honorable? If this thought becomes action, will the outcome be lovely and contribute to excellence in my life? Will other believers approve of my actions? Is it something for which I can praise God.” Today I want to choose truth over a lie, choose honorable over dishonorable, choose right over wrong, choose pure over evil, choose lovely over ugly thoughts, choose a good reputation over damaging your reputation, choose excellence over mediocrity, choose praise over grumbling and complaining, and choose dwelling on good versus evil.
I feel that I am grasping the life God intends me to have as I celebrate who I am in Christ. I am His beloved and He is mine.
But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:22-23)
God is Sovereign. He gives us so many promises:
In all thy ways acknowledge him, And he will direct thy paths. … In all thy ways think on him, and he will direct thy steps. (Proverbs 3:6)
I will instruct you and teach you concerning the path you should walk; I will direct you with my eye. (Psalm 32:8)
My voice shall you hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto you, and will look up. (Psalm 5:3)
Direct me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in them. (Psalm 119:35)
Beloved, we need to believe that God is Sovereign and that He Reigns.